Friday, July 20, 2012

Amtrak Auto Train -- gluten free salmon dinner?

With newly diagnosed non-celiac gluten sensitivity, I had a project in Florida that required traveling via Amtrak's Auto Train. In researching the food situation beforehand, my conclusion was that Amtrak had no accommodations for gluten free travelers. Presumably, this is because the meals are pre-packaged in advance and the on-board staff is basically heating and serving.

I did not communicate with Amtrak directly, but for those who would like to, here is the Amtrak Culinary Advisory Team. Amtrak's food supplier is Aramark.

In preparation for the trip, my colleague and I loaded up on gluten free snacks. It's a 17 hour journey from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL. The snacks came in handy; however, I ate the train's food and did not get sick.

Specifically, one of the Auto Train's dinner options is Salmon. Salmon is one of those rare food items that consistently feels OK in my stomach, so I decided to take a chance with it. I ordered the meal with the intention of not eating it if anything on the plate seemed suspect. The salmon was served with a wild rice mixture and green beans. Theoretically, all of those foods should be safe. I ate the meal.

One of the dessert options is a no-flour chocolate tort. Again, I decided to take a chance with it and did not get sick.

Because I had not experienced any ill effects with the salmon, I had the same meal on the return trip from Florida. The salmon on the way down was somewhat dried out . . . better than an airplane meal but not restaurant quality. On the return trip, the salmon was prepared perfectly. My colleague had the same experience with the steak meal. The quality of the food was good and the portions were large enough to be filling.

Buyer beware . . . I have not yet figured out how sensitive I am to gluten, so I thought that eating the salmon meal on the train was an acceptable risk -- possible cross-contamination being the only unknown variable. It worked for me. For others with Celiac disease or gluten sensitivity it might be worth contacting Amtrak directly in order to make an informed decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment