Friday, July 13, 2012

Thoughts about diet

So far, the meds and gluten free diet have been contributing to a rapid restoration of my health and energy. In addition to researching the specific dietary requirements of my health issues I've been learning a lot about food in general. It's a fascinating topic.

Given the fact that our diet literally makes us who we are, it is odd that so little attention is given to it by the average person. Until I began researching diet and learning about food preparation, I was completely ignorant about a critically important part of my own existence. It took my health issues to awaken me to this reality.

Fortunately, it's easy to find information online about the proper diet for those with specific medical conditions. However, the process of finding the right combination of food inputs gets complicated very quickly when you are dealing with multiple health issues, each involving their own dietary guidelines and restrictions.

In addition to my recently diagnosed ulcerative colitis and non celiac gluten sensitivity, I also have hypothyroidism and PK deficient anemia. Each of these conditions has its own dietary "best practices", requiring a delicate balance of food inputs. Designing that balance will be an ongoing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment