Sunday, July 22, 2012

Eating out: Is it worth the risk?

When I was first diagnosed with non-celiac gluten sensitivity I thought I was going to avoid restaurants for a while until I learned the proper questions to ask.

The Macaroni Grill experience I wrote about in my last post is a reminder that asking the right questions and properly researching the menu and ingredients before ordering are the only things you have control over in a restaurant situation. And, realistically, they don't amount to much. Placing your order will always involve a leap of faith.

Here is a thought I find disturbing: Eating out involves placing your well-being in the hands of those who do not have to experience the consequences of serving you an unsafe meal.

No matter how comfortable you feel after discussing the situation with your server, you will literally eat the output of a chain of events involving many variables and at least several people.

How reasonable is it to expect an entire random kitchen to be properly trained? Or for each staff person to exercise the vigilance required to keep you safe?

You have no control over what takes place between placing your order and receiving your food.

Is it worth the risk?

No comments:

Post a Comment